2013 Maryland Code
HEALTH – GENERAL
§ 14-501 – Concussions or head injuries in youth sports programs
Universal Citation: MD Health-Gen Code § 14-501 (2013)
(a) (1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) “Concussion” means a traumatic injury to the brain causing an immediate and, usually, short-lived change in mental status or an alteration of normal consciousness resulting from:
(i) A fall;
(ii) A violent blow to the head or body; or
(iii) The shaking or spinning of the head or body.
(3) “Youth athlete” means an individual who participates in an athletic activity in association with a youth sports program conducted:
(i) At a public school facility; or
(ii) By a recreational athletic organization.
(4) “Youth sports program” means a program organized for recreational athletic competition or instruction for participants who are under the age of 19 years.
(b) (1) A youth sports program shall make available information on concussions and head injuries developed by the State Department of Education under § 7-433 of the Education Article to coaches, youth athletes, and the parents or guardians of youth athletes.
(2) A coach of a youth sports program shall review the information provided in paragraph (1) of this subsection.
(c) (1) A youth athlete who is suspected of sustaining a concussion or other head injury in a practice or game shall be removed from play at that time.
(2) A youth athlete who has been removed from play may not return to play until the youth athlete has obtained written clearance from a licensed health care provider trained in the evaluation and management of concussions.
(d) Before a youth sports program may use a facility owned or operated by a local government, the local government shall provide notice to the youth sports program of the requirements of this section.
Source (May 15, 2019): https://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2013/article-ghg/section-14-501/
Click here for printable version.